Safe drinking water is vital for human health. Diffuse pollution of nitrogen and pesticides from agriculture is the main obstacle to meet drinking water quality targets.
The objective of FAIRWAY is
- to review approaches for protection of drinking water resources against pollution by pesticides and nitrate, and
- to identify and further develop innovative measures and governance approaches for a more effective drinking water protection.
March 2019: Decision support tools workshop
Over the last 6 months, nine FAIRWAY case study sites have been testing a number of decision support tools (DSTs) that are used in European countries to help farmers/policy makers/water companies promote good practices for reducing nitrate and pesticide pollution of surface water and groundwater.
The results were presented on 12 March 2019 at a successful workshop at Aarhus University, Roskilde, Denmark.
Some of our main findings are:
- Many similar DSTs exist for similar problems. Themes and ideas behind national DSTs can be exchanged between regions and countries.
- A DST cannot generally be exchanged between countries without adjustments because of local differences in the climate, farming systems and implementation of legislation etc.
- One DST for all European countries will not work.
Rikke Krogshave Laursen